Thank you for your interest in adopting one of our Maltese rescue dogs. By the time our dogs are ready for adoption, our foster parents have had time to evaluate them and determine their needs for a new home. We have created an adoption process that will ensure a smooth and safe transition from our rescue to your family. Our number one priority is to make sure our Maltese go to the best possible forever home.
While you may not fully understand the reasoning behind every aspect our process, we hope that you will support, respect and appreciate that every step is a necessary one. Here’s the step-by-step process we have created:
- Complete the Adoption Application in its entirety and mail it in with the non-refundable $10 application fee. Since we receive hundreds of applications every year and multiple applications for each dog, please understand that we are unable to acknowledge every one that we receive.
- Once we receive this we will add you to our email list. As each dog becomes available for adoption you will receive an email with a picture and brief description of that dog. There will be a name and phone number for you to contact should you be interested in adopting that Maltese.
- Once you have contacted Mary she will then review your application.
- Due to the large amount of phone calls Mary receives, she cannot return a call if you leave a message. Please continue to try to contact Mary but know that she is often out during the day to pick up or transport dogs.
- If you are a good candidate for an adoption, there will be several phone interviews, and your references, including veterinarian and groomer, will be checked. This will be the only time that you may receive a phone call.
- If possible, we will conduct a home visit. If this is unrealistic, pictures of your home and yard are helpful. You can send them with your Application or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, but be sure to include your name and that you have sent in your application.
- If you have a dog already, a meet and greet between your dog(s) and the dog you wish to adopt is important to ensure the compatibility of the dogs.
- A signed Adoption Contract and the paid adoption fee is required before adoption can be finalized.
- The Contract states that if you are unable to care for or keep the dog, you must return it to Northcentral Maltese Rescue. You may not sell, give away or destroy any dog adopted from our rescue.
- While we do adopt to out of state residences it is a requirement that you pick up the new addition to your family in person. It may mean flying or driving to the location of the Maltese.
We determine the fee for the dog based on its age, health and behavior, not on the amount we have spent on the dog. A young healty puppy that is altered and is up to date on its vaccinations will cost no more than $500. Senior dogs may cost as little as $150 or less.
We are a volunteer group and can continue our good work by donations and adoption fees only. We strive to find the perfect forever home for each member of our rescue family. That said, the adoption process is not approached on a first come, first served basis. Our adoption decisions are based solely on finding the optimal environment for each one of our rescued friends. Normally we do not adopt to families with children under 7 years of age or people under 25 years of age. Our older senior applicants who qualify to adopt cannot be considered for a puppy or a very young dog, but will be able to adopt an older Maltese.
Our rescues are friends for life. After the required contact time, we’d love for you to keep us up to date on how the latest addition to your family is doing. Pictures are great! You might also like to check out our Facebook page at Northcentral Maltese Rescue Incorporated.
Now that you’re up to speed on the adoption process, take a look at our Available Dogs to find your new forever friend! Thank you for your interest in Maltese Rescue, we look forward to receiving your application.
Mary Palmer, President/Rescue Coordinator
Northcentral Maltese Rescue, Inc.
If you cannot reach Mary, please contact Trudy Peischl at
Saving Maltese Nationwide
Northcentral Maltese Rescue, Inc.